Sunday, November 28, 2010

Have You Seen the Muffin Man?

Today was the day I popped the turkey carcass into the stockpot to make, yes, turkey stock.  (Normally I would do this the day after Thanksgiving, but this cold has really slowed me down.)  I froze most of the stock but kept out enough to make turkey stew for dinner.  I don't have a standard turkey soup recipe - I just throw in whatever's hanging around the refrigerator and the pantry.  I had some leftover fennel from the holiday sausage and fennel stuffing makings, so the stew tonight featured fresh fennel, mixed mushrooms, scallions, and a blend of wild and brown rice.  We rounded out dinner with a tossed salad and some zippy corn muffins.

Spicy Double Corn Muffins

1 cup frozen corn
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons minced canned or bottled jalapeno peppers
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil

Cook the frozen corn according to the instructions on the package (I usually microwave it).  Grease muffin pan.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Thoroughly combine all ingredients in a large bowl.  Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full (this is a dense batter and the muffins won't rise much).  Bake about 15 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.  Serve with honey.

"I believe the world to be a muffin pan, and there certainly are a lot of muffins here." ~Aaron Funk

No comments:

Post a Comment