Friday, March 25, 2011

Boxes of Books

Moving - don't you love it?

As I expected, our real estate agent's stager was not pleased by the wall-to-wall bookshelves in our house, so I've been packing my books for the last few days.  This will be the fifteenth time I've moved in my life (not counting shuttling back and forth in college), so I'm resigned to going through the following stages:

Stage 1: The Good
Since I have a touch of OCD, my books are arranged on their shelves by genre, by author, with the series in chronological order.  As I start packing I am determined to keep them in order so I can unpack as quickly and easily as possible.  I carefully insert them in the cardboard boxes exactly as they come off the shelves and label each carton by author.

Step 2: The Bad
M-Day (when the movers will be coming) has been set and is getting uncomfortably close.  I need to speed up the whole packing process.  I throw vaguely related books into boxes and label them by genre.

Step 3: The Ugly (or, who cares about the unpacking - get these suckers moved)
I toss whatever is left into cartons labeled "Misc. Books."

Movers are coming on Monday to move the books, the shelves, and the other furniture the stager didn't like to a storage unit, so I'm on the verge of  Stage 3.  Too bad I didn't finish the project to thin the books out when I intended to - I'd have at least a few less boxes for Stage 4: The Resurrection.

"Books are not made for furniture, but there is nothing else that so beautifully furnishes a house."  ~Henry Ward Beecher

No comments:

Post a Comment