Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Back to the Box

If you've been reading this blog for a while, you probably remember my rant about Barry's insistence that we buy a giant TV for our living room.  You won't be surprised to hear that he retained custody of the leviathan and I kept our original TV plus the entertainment center we had built for it when we first moved into our house.

Before I bought my new home I carefully drew the floor plan on graph paper and pushed the little to-scale cutouts representing my furniture around to be sure everything would fit.  And it did.  Almost.  I forgot one thing: the ceilings in this house are a foot lower than the ceilings in our previous place.  The center section of the entertainment center wouldn't stand up in the living room here, or indeed in any of the rooms.

Enter Super Dad with his Skil saw.  My father was able to remove the top 8 inches of the center section so it's now the same height as the side pieces and will (just barely) fit into the house.  Of course, it's almost solid oak so it took the two of us plus my sister and a small wheeled furniture cart to get the thing into its final resting place, but it's there now and the living room looks less like I'm camping in it.

The next phase, of course, is to find and connect all the audio and video paraphernalia that go into the entertainment center along with the TV.  If I can find my trusty wiring diagram, I should have everything up and running in a couple of days.  If I can't find it, I may be cut off from PBS and TCM for weeks.

I guess that's not all bad, though.  If I go back to spending my evenings in front of the box I will probably lose all my unpacking momentum.  I could still be wondering where my favorite saucepan is at this time next year.

"I hate television. I hate it as much as peanuts. But I can't stop eating peanuts. " ~Orson Welles

No comments:

Post a Comment