Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Damn Those Trade-offs!

A major project I've been working on for one of my clients is winding down, and with it a good chunk of my income, so I've spent the last couple of weeks prospecting for another job, and (if I pass the background check), I've just landed one.  It's a 3-6 month contract with the possibility of permanent employment.  The downside: a 40-hour work week, with all the work to be done at the client's office.

This is a fairly significant downside.  I will have to give up dance lessons, singing in the choir, working out with my sister, and helping my parents with transportation and various projects except on the weekends.  No occasional afternoon naps with the cat, either.

On the other hand, I will be able to cut back to teaching one online class at a time; afford a landscaping service for the overdue trimming of my fruit trees; eat out much more often; and possibly hire a professional cleaning service once or twice during the contract.  Best of all, I will be able to enjoy the cruise this fall without agonizing over every extra cent I spend; I may even be able to take a break from teaching while we're gone.  A real vacation - what a concept!

That's assuming, of course, that my prospective employers aren't deterred by the two supposed closed tax liens on my credit record - one lien that was filed in error, twice, for money the IRS agrees I didn't owe.  Sigh.  I miss the good old days when it was possible to get a job without having my credit history and urine analyzed.  Note to self: avoid poppyseed bagels for the foreseeable future.

"Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment