Monday, March 3, 2014

My 15 Minutes of Fame

I have a long history of discovering fabulous little restaurants about a month before they die.  For a while I was beginning to think that my patronage was the kiss of death for any eating establishment.  That's why when I looked around my favorite Thai place last year and realized that I was almost the only one there, I panicked; what if they were on the verge of going down the tubes?  So, I decided to nominate it for Check, Please! Arizona.

For those of you who don't live in Arizona, Check, Please! is a show on our local PBS station, hosted by a professional chef.  Every week they review three different local restaurants, and they have a bias toward small ethnic places.  Viewers recommend their favorite spots; if your restaurant is chosen, you get to eat at your place and the restaurants recommended by two other people and then talk about them on the show.  I went to their website and filled out the form to suggest Line Thai in Sun City.

Well, fast forward a year and my restaurant (and I!) made it on the show.  With quite a bit of judicious editing, I even looked fairly articulate. I've lost track of how many people have told me they plan to visit Line Thai as a result, so mission accomplished.  I hope the restaurant lives long and prospers.

(If you would like to see the show, visit the Channel Eight website at http://www.azpbs.org/checkplease/cp_player_1.php?vidId=6537)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food." ~George Bernard Shaw


No comments:

Post a Comment