Friday, February 17, 2012

Better Late Than Never

For the last few days I've been reading another ebook borrowed from the public library - The Secrets of People Who Never Get Sick by Gene Stone.  Stone is a respected journalist who has been writing about health issues for years and tried many of the treatments he investigated.  (He passed on the electroshock therapy.)  In this book he profiles 25 people and their personal prescriptions for living long and healthy lives.  He also examines the medical theory behind each person's "secret" and explains how the reader can adapt the technique for personal use.

Many of the "secrets" you undoubtedly know already - good genes, good diet, regular exercise - but some of them are obscure, not to say outre - dunking the head in a basin of hydrogen peroxide every morning, or drinking urine.  OK, so even the bizarre techniques have some foundation in science; despite Stone's clear, amusing explanations I'm not convinced that I need to eat dirt. 

Due to my bumper orange crop I am already taking in a lot of Vitamin C, and it does seem to have made this cold quite a bit milder than the usual.  I think for the future I will concentrate on Stone's instructions for stretching, avoiding stress, maintaining a positive attitude, and napping.  Maybe next winter I can avoid catching cold entirely.

"To all the people working toward a health care system that pays as much attention to the prevention of illness as the curing of it." ~Gene Stone, The Secrets of People Who Never Get Sick

No comments:

Post a Comment