Thursday, September 30, 2010

Let Me Eat Cake

For almost a year, Barry and I have been eating a low-fat, low-salt, low-sugar diet.  By now we’re so used to the taste of healthier food that on the rare occasions we eat something really fatty or sweet it tastes disgusting.  And yet – today I’m sitting here jonesing for a piece of cake.

I’ve never really had a sweet tooth.  I do sometimes crave chocolate, but I prefer the dark, bittersweet varieties.  Today, though, I want cake.  A big wedge of sweet white cake thickly plastered with white buttercream frosting, topped with shell piping and a few pink sugar roses.

I blame Cake Wrecks.

For the past few days I’ve been browsing their archives in my spare time, and even though many of the cakes they feature look totally inedible, the urge to slice one up and devour it by myself has been growing by leaps and bounds.  I’m not quite ready to sell my soul to satisfy the craving, but I’d be willing to crash a wedding or mug a birthday child.

The grocery stores near my home sell individual cupcakes, but they use so much food coloring in their frosting that it leaves the eater’s tongue, teeth, lips and fingers bright orange (or teal or shocking pink) for two or three days - the dieter’s version of the Scarlet Letter. 

Today, though, I’m at an office in an industrial park on the other side of the valley.  I don’t know of any supermarkets in the area, but with the help of my trusty computer (really, I’m sorry I dissed you yesterday, I don’t know what came over me) I’m sure I can find one.  I’m hoping they’ll have at least one plain white cupcake with simple white frosting.
image of sprinkles cupcake


What do you suppose I should eat afterward so I don’t go home with sugar on my breath?


"I don't exactly know what it means to be ready. A cake when the oven timer goes off? Am I fully baked, or only half-baked?" - Jessica Savitch

No comments:

Post a Comment