Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Temporarily Displaced

As if living with my parents weren't limbo enough, this week the web design firm I work for is moving to new quarters and I've been told to work from home until further notice.  I'm really beginning to feel like a displaced person.  Oh, well; if the working at home thing goes well, maybe I will be able to telecommute more in the future.

On the home front, the owners of the little house I wanted have accepted my offer to buy it and with luck we will be closing on June 1.  My nesting instinct is kicking into high gear; my head feels like it's ready to explode with ideas for painting walls, arranging furniture, and replacing the avocado curtains in my prospective office.  I can already see that my first call after taking possession will be to an electrician to put a ceiling fan in the master bedroom, do away with some ugly wall sconces, and move a badly placed kitchen light.  Call number two will be to the cable company, to move the cable plug to the one wall long enough for my entertainment center.  I'm also going to be looking for a dishwasher; the kitchen doesn't currently have one, and anyone who uses as many pots and pans as I do really ought to have one.

I'm not terribly good at deferred gratification; this is going to be a very long month.

"Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion . . . . I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward."  ~ Kurt Vonnegut, Jr

No comments:

Post a Comment