Monday, June 10, 2013

Shopping for Beefcake, Part II

OK, I said my next post would be a book review. I lied. Sue me.

After a couple of false starts, I cancelled my subscription to Our Time.  My heart just wasn't in it.  I didn't really believe that I was going to find anyone as compatible as my husband Tom had been, and after Barry, I was more sure than ever that I would rather be alone than with the wrong person.

At that point, several of my friends got into the act, separately deciding that I was the perfect match for someone else they knew.  I received several "introduction" offers; one friend even wanted to fix me up with her brother.  This was all very flattering, but somewhat unsettling.  After all, if things went really wrong with any of the potential dates (particularly the brother!), it could mean the end of the original friendship, too. 

I don't want to go into the details, but I more or less accidentally met one of the guys last weekend, and our mutual friend phoned him with my phone number.  He called tonight and we have a dinner date scheduled for Friday.

If my matchmaking friend is right, this guy is almost too good to be true - kind, flexible, smart, and a year younger than I am.  I know from meeting him that he's funny, modest, and has a terrific tenor singing voice.

And he IS beefcake!!

Of course, now I'm panicked.  Have I gained too much weight over the last year?  Am I too out of shape to interest a long-distance bike rider?  Can I get by on my so-called wit and semi-obsessive personality?  Will I manage to flip part of dinner into my lap (remind me to wear something in a dark color)??

My parents met due to the machinations of matchmaking friends.  Who knows?  Maybe history will repeat itself.  Or maybe I'll have to move on to the next friend, and her single brother.

“To get the full value of a joy you must have somebody to divide it with.” ~ Mark Twain


No comments:

Post a Comment