Friday, May 3, 2019

Surprised Again

Today I uploaded a revised header for this blog that reflected the fact I'm older and grayer than the last time I posted here - which I now realize was 4 1/2 years ago!!  YIKES!!!

A lot has happened in that time, but the biggest change is yet to come.  As of September 1 I will officially be a Retired Person.

I've read quite a bit about people going into shock once they no longer have the routine and security of a job on which to base their schedule and their identity.  I doubt very much that will happen to me because throughout my career my various jobs have been what I do, not who I am.  I am expecting that retirement will instead give me the chance to do more of the things I enjoy in life - traveling, reading, taking photos, cooking, dancing, singing, and hanging with my sweetie (whose name, by the way, is Lee).

But wait, you may say - this is all stuff that you were already talking about when you worked on the blog before.  Yes, yes it is - but then it was my escape from work, and now I anticipate that it will be my "work."

I'm already having fun gearing up for the changeover.  I've spent two years downsizing and refining my wardrobe (with a little help from Poshmark) to make it more workable for "life after."  I bought a crock and sourdough starter to get back into baking.  Lee and I are making plans to visit Washington state in September to escape the heat here.  And I am ruthlessly shoving long-term work projects off onto coworkers.

I expect retirement to be fun.  I expect it to be exciting.  And I expect, as always, to be continually surprised.  Please come along for the ride!

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.” – Bill Waterson, Calvin & Hobbes


No comments:

Post a Comment