Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Vacation, Interrupted

And, I never did finish posting the photos from the cruise my sister and I took in 2014.  We started and ended in Holland, and visited various spots in Ireland, Scotland, and Norway along the way.  Here are some photos from the day we spent visiting archaeological sites in Orkney, where it rained sideways much of the time.  The prehistoric village we saw at Skara Brae had been built with underground tunnels between the houses; if the weather when the village was constructed was anything like the weather the day we were there (in August!), those tunnels were for survival, not just comfort.  That particular day finished off the waterproofing on my raincoat and ruined my black ballet flats.  I should have taken along my waterproof hiking boots and left all my other shoes at home.  At least I did remember to pack a hat, gloves, and an umbrella.










"You can come to Orkney knowing that you want to visit Skara Brae, the Ring of Brodgar, St Magnus Cathedral and the Italian Chapel. You can plan to go bird-watching, follow the Craft Trail or visit the smaller islands, but Orkney will still take you unawares." ~Patricia Long, https://www.aboutorkney.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment