Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Collecting Antagonism

It never fails.  I move.  I get a new phone number.  I get more calls for the last X holders of that phone number than for me.  The most amazing phone call I ever got for a previous number-holder was the attempted collect call from Barbados from the person's grandmother, after I had had the number for over two years.  Who would move and leave their granny in the dark for that long?

My newest phone number is apparently associated with three deadbeats.  Fortunately I was able to speak to live human beings about two of them and put an immediate stop to the annoying calls.  The third collection agency, however, was a horse of a different color.

Every day the phone rings.  A recording (they rotate the recorded voices) tells me the name of the person being hounded and says to hang up or disconnect if I am NOT that person.  So I do.  And another call rolls in the very next day.

Up till now the number of the collection agency was blocked, but today their name briefly appeared on the phone's display.  I looked them up online and called the "Contact Us For Immediate Attention!" number.  The woman who answered was in Kansas City, but I'm surprised I didn't melt the receiver in her hand long distance.  I don't believe they'll be calling again.

I understand the need for collection agencies.  I understand that automated calls allow them to be more efficient.  What I don't understand is how they can tell hapless victims of misdirected collection attempts that hanging up will discontinue the harassment and then keep right on calling.

At least I know who they are now.  One more call and they'll be hearing from the Better Business Bureau instead of from me.

"Creditors have better memories than debtors." ~Benjamin Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment