Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Picking Party Is On

I've been writing lately about the size of my impending citrus harvest.  If you thought I was kidding, think again.  Here are a couple of pictures from the back yard that illustrate the problem pretty well:

Grapefruit
Navel Oranges
I floated the idea of a fruit-picking party past my friend Jo today and she thought it sounded like a winner, so I've invited as many friends as my house can reasonably hold for wine, cheese, and all the oranges and grapefruit they can carry away. I set the date for next Friday so with luck I can finish uprooting all the ugly myoporum from the back flower beds before everyone gets here. (Nothing like a firm deadline to spur me to finish distasteful projects.)

The harvest is not actually as plentiful as it could have been because the trees weren't really getting enough water this summer while the house was for sale. If this party goes well, maybe I can make it an annual event; once the trees get used to being properly watered and fertilized, I should really see some bumper crops.


“So far I've always kept my diet secret but now I might as well tell everyone what it is. Lots of grapefruit throughout the day and plenty of virile young men at night."  ~Angie Dickinson

No comments:

Post a Comment