Thursday, June 2, 2011

All This and a Raise In September - YAY!!

Today is a good day, a fine day, an excellent day.  Today I received the students' evaluations from the last programming class I taught.

Not every student completed an evaluation, but when asked to rate "How likely are you to recommend this instructor to other students?," all those who did gave me 10 out of 10 possible points.  Two went further and wrote compliments in the Comments box.  One gave me the nicest tribute I've yet received:

"Best instructor in all of my classes. Insightful, helpful, encouraging and responsible. "

In the faculty forum at the online University where I teach, we often joke about students' references to TOI (The Other Teacher) - the instructor who accepts late work without penalty, overlooks grammar problems, and gives everyone an A.  I am not TOI; I try my best to follow all University policies and I believe I grade fairly but strictly.  On the other hand, I truly want students to learn the material in my classes; I continually refine the syllabus and other course materials to eliminate ambiguities and I will spend whatever time is necessary coaching those who have problems.

This is the teacher I want to be:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xuFnP5N2uA&feature=related

On days like today I think I may finally be getting close.

I like a teacher who gives you something to take home to think about besides homework.  ~Lily Tomlin as "Edith Ann"

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! It's always nice to get some positive feedback and acknowledgement.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, appreciation is great, and knowing that I actually helped at least a few students is even better.

    ReplyDelete