Saturday, June 25, 2011

For the Birds

In addition to putting out vegetable peelings and stale bread for the birds and the bunnies, my mother keeps a dish filled with water in the back yard.  It's one of those small oval baking dishes sometimes used for individual portions of lasagna or creme brulee.

Today at lunchtime I looked out the kitchen window and saw a large black grackle standing right in the middle of the water dish.  I pointed him out to my parents and Dad said, "If you'd been walking across that gravel in the 106 degree heat, you'd want to soak your feet, too."

I don't know; my bet is that the stupid bird was thinking, "Wow - this is the smallest bird bath I've ever visited."

"I value my garden more for being full of blackbirds than of cherries, and very frankly give them fruit for their songs." ~Joseph Addison, The Spectator

No comments:

Post a Comment