Sunday, July 31, 2011

Ergonomically Challenged

Well, my new office is taking shape.  My bookshelves are in position, my cable modem and wireless router are hooked up, and the previous homeowners left behind a little glass-topped table that will look good with a couple of chairs at the "client" end of the room.  My former dining room table is now pretending to be a desk.  The only thing I lack is a decent desk chair.

The desk chair I had before was just about worn out and probably responsible for my recent attack of bursitis, so at the moment I'm sitting on an antique oak dining room chair.  It works fine as a dining room chair but leaves a lot to be desired as a desk chair.  Even with a cushion it isn't very comfortable for long-term sitting, and the height is just a little too low in relation to the table for computer work.  The angle of my hands and wrists is just begging for an attack of carpal tunnel syndrome.

So, the hunt for a new desk chair is on.  I need something comfortable and adjustable that looks good with the rest of my furniture and won't cost the national debt.  I want a cushioned seat and lumbar support and probably arm rests, too.  I've been checking the websites of the local office furniture stores and have only seen a few possibilities.  I guess I'll have to go test-sit a few to see how they feel.  Too bad I can't take my desk along to check the height.

"A chair is a very difficult object. A skyscraper is almost easier. That is why Chippendale is famous." ~Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

1 comment:

  1. If sitting is uncomfortable - try standing! kck.st/1ODfdkk

    ReplyDelete