Friday, September 24, 2010

Flirting with DID

You've been asking yourself a lot of questions in this blog.  Why is that?
I think I've been watching too many mockumentaries.  We rented Best in Show, Waiting for Guffman, and the original Spinal Tap movie last month; maybe the spurious Q&A format imprinted itself on my subconscious.  The other possibility is that the disparate parts of my personality have started to separate.  I can only hope they don't decide to divorce; I can't afford the alimony.

What's the advantage of the mock interview in humorous writing?
I get to talk about several different topics in a single post without even pretending to link them together logically.  Scrapping transitions significantly speeds up the writing process.  If I can just get over my unreasonable attachment to grammar and spelling, too, I'll be able to really increase my output.

Why don't you include illustrations with all of your postings?
I'm a slow artist; my illustrated posts generally take much longer to produce.  Besides, I can't always think of an appropriate picture for a specific article.  This one, for instance; I suppose I could slap a face on a giant puffy question mark, but would it really add anything to the text?  I don't think I'm meant to be a cartoonist.  I can write and I can doodle, but I'm not mentally coordinated enough to do both at the same time.  The left and right halves of my brain don't play well together.

Does it bother you that they don't?
Only when they start throwing dishes at each other.
image of cartoon question mark with face


[Update: OK, here's the puffy question mark.  You be the judge: witty and debonair addition to the post, or stupid waste of space?]

“One advantage of talking to yourself is that you know at least somebody's listening.” Franklin P. Jones


No comments:

Post a Comment