Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Back to the Chair

Well, today I bit the bullet and went to the dentist for a checkup and cleaning.  I hadn't been for a year, so I was expecting reproaches - the hygienist really thinks everyone should have a cleaning every three months - but everyone was polite and positive.  Maybe they're afraid that criticism would scare me off - as if I'd ever forsake Dr. Stevens.

My dentist is so high-tech that appointments with him are by far the most pleasant experiences I've ever had in a dental chair.  The digital X-ray camera is smaller and less uncomfortable than the old folded cardboard film holders; the automated cleaning tools are faster and more efficient than scraping tools; and if my gag reflex kicks in (as is all too likely), I get to rinse my mouth with something that slightly numbs it and we are able to finish the cleaning without any unpleasant incidents.

Today was good because my teeth were OK, my gums had actually improved (probably due to our new eating habits), and my account had enough credit so that I only had to pay $5.  Whew.  Another year without a new filling or crown anywhere; outstanding!

"Dentist: a prestidigitator who, putting metal into your mouth, pulls coin out of your pocket."  ~Ambrose Bierce

No comments:

Post a Comment