Sunday, April 10, 2011

Hipshot

I've always been a stomach sleeper.  Occasionally I can sleep on one side or the other, but never on my back - too much post-nasal drip.  So for the past couple of months I haven't been sleeping well at all because suddenly my left hip pains me when I lie on my stomach.  I toss from side to side, trying to find a comfortable position, and eventually fall into an uneasy half-doze.  Nasty.

I think I mentioned that the cat and I both had physicals scheduled for this week.  My doctor says the hip pain is probably bursitis and suggested standing while I work.  Ho.  When did you last see a web designer standing up?  Neither my home office nor my office office is equipped with standing desks.  I suppose I could put my computer on my kitchen counter but...Plan B is taking plenty of Advil before I go to bed.

I have to wait until tomorrow for the results of Rusty's physical.  Her doctor is concerned that she's losing weight and ordered a blood screen for senior cats.  I'm just hoping that she hasn't developed diabetes or a hyperactive thyroid or some other disease that will require medication that I can't afford and probably can't get her to swallow.

At least Rusty has no trouble sleeping on her stomach, or indeed in any other position.

"Cats are rather delicate creatures and they are subject to a good many ailments, but I never heard of one who suffered from insomnia."  ~Joseph Wood Krutch

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried sleeping with a body pillow? It might allow you to sleep on your stomach while providing extra cushioning, as well as elevating or lowering certain areas depending on how you mold it to your body. Might help.
    Rusty looks like a sweetheart ( aren't they all? ); hope it's nothing too serious. Cats are often really disconcerted by change, so maybe ( fingers crossed ) she's suffering from nerves. Our cats always fell into a snit at moving time. Can't say I blame them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The body pillow sounds like a good suggestion, Nina; if this doesn't clear up soon I'll try one. The vet called back today and says some of Rusty's liver and kidney function tests are not too great but that's only to be expected at her age (15). At least he suggested prescription food rather than pills; I just hope she likes the taste :(

    ReplyDelete