Friday, April 1, 2011

Building a Better Biscuit

This week my mom made chicken and biscuits with her favorite baking powder biscuit recipe; I think it's from an old Good Housekeeping cookbook.  Much as I love it (those biscuits are the taste of my childhood), when I make biscuits myself, I now use this adaptation of a recipe originally published on the Stoneyfield Yogurt website.  It's lower in fat, salt, and calories than most baking powder biscuits, and the yogurt makes them extremely moist and tender.  I must admit, though, that I use Mountain High Plain Lowfat Yogurt instead of Stoneyfield.  It's easier to buy in our area, it tastes great, and the only ingredients are milk, pectin, and yogurt cultures - no fillers or preservatives.

Baking Powder Biscuits with Yogurt

1 1/2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
14 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup oil (I use canola)
1 cup plain lowfat yogurt

Heat the oven to 375 degrees.  Mix all ingredients well; roll out on a floured surface and cut into round or square biscuits.  Bake 10-12 minutes on an ungreased cookie sheet until light golden brown.

"I love cheese and biscuits, the stronger the better."  ~Eric Bristow

No comments:

Post a Comment